The Cost of Continuing Education: Whose responsibility is it?

Written by John Meyer

In the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS), 91.3% of the teachers (Nelson, et al., 1999) and 83% of the congregation members (Schmeling & Nelson, 2001) agree that continuing education for teachers is necessary (Nelson, et al., 1999). But 74% of WELS teachers list time and money as their greatest obstacles to professional growth (Schmeling & Nelson, 2001). Setting aside the issue of time for now, let’s talk about the money.

Who bears responsibility for the cost of WELS teacher continuing education?

Synod entities like the Commission on Lutheran Schools (CLS), Martin Luther College (MLC), and Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary are responsible for planning cost-effective, ministry-focused continuing education for called workers. They must balance program sustainability with a respect for the financial resources of schools and called workers. Their educational services therefore should be impactful and engaging without being extravagant. Costs should be determined by expenses, not profit.

Schools and teachers also share in the financial responsibility for professional growth. When WELS schools and teachers partner in professional growth, they encourage one another in faithfulness. Congregations demonstrate stewardship of their human resources and invest in the teacher’s service to the school and the church at large. Teachers show respect for the school’s monetary resources and a willingness to have a stake in their personal improvement.

But Lutheran schools and called teachers sometimes struggle to find a good balance in continuing education funding. School support varies greatly. A 2012 survey of WELS K – 12 teachers revealed that 16% of WELS schools contribute nothing toward teacher continuing education while 11% provide as much as needed. Among the 72% of WELS schools that provide some level of support for continuing education, the most common model is that the level of support varies each year depending on the school financial picture and number of teachers requesting funds. Another model involves school providing a set percentage of the costs, with the most common being 60%.

The same survey shows that teachers’ willingness to contribute also varies greatly. Most WELS teachers declared a willingness to take on a share of continuing education costs, with some claiming they would contribute “whatever it takes.” Yet some indicated they are “unlikely to pay anything out of pocket for professional growth.”

The delegates at the last three WELS biennial conventions provided guidance. Both the 2009 and 2011 conventions adopted resolutions recommending two things about continuing education: 1) that all called teachers participate in continuing education, and 2) that calling bodies provide the necessary resources to make it possible. The recently concluded 2013 convention was more specific. The delegates passed a resolution encouraging calling bodies to budget $1,000 per called worker annually to support continuing education, and to consider it an essential “investment in gospel ministry.”

While a good guideline, the 2013 resolution does not mean that only schools are responsible to pay. To be healthy, all three stakeholders—the synod, Lutheran schools, and WELS teachers—need to share the cost for the continuing education of all called workers. Such a model mutually encourages each other and builds up the body of Christ.

Dr. John Meyer is the director of graduate studies and continuing education at Martin Luther College, New Ulm MN.

3 thoughts on “The Cost of Continuing Education: Whose responsibility is it?

1. I appreciate that this article doesn’t say it is only one person’s specific responsibility to pay for continuing education. Continuing education is essential to what we as teachers do – how can we emphasize the importance of learning to our students, and not take our own advice?

I do wish there was something in place as far as tuition assistance through the synod or through MLC for those who are not currently teaching in a WELS school, and have to pay the tuition in full on their own. This seems to be a situation that is more prevalent now than when I first started the program. There seem to be more people (women especially) who are in the program but not teaching in a WELS school at the time. They’ve chosen to work on their education while being a stay-at-home mom, while their husbands are completing their education at the Seminary, or while teaching in the public or private sector when there’s no WELS school or calls available nearby. This is the situation I’ve been in for the last 4.5 years.

That being said, after talking with a number of colleagues and co-workers and comparing costs and quality of Masters’ programs, I truly believe MLC’s program is top-notch. A number of my co-workers got their Masters’ in 18 months. Their classes were only 6 weeks long, only 3 weeks in some cases, and many of them made it through their program without ever having to write a paper of any kind. Yet they paid $20K+ in tuition. The Masters’ program through MLC is extremely cost-effective for the amount and the quality of education that students receive. I feel confident that when I have finished my program, I will have EARNED my degree, I will not have just sat passively through classes. I have invested in my education and the education of others through my involvement in the program, and for that I am extremely grateful and thankful that the Lord has provided.

2. As a teaching professional, I carefully plan my continuing education for the next school year around February. I look at my strengths, weaknesses, and interests to prayerfully consider what courses, workshops, or conferences to take and attend. I also look at my professional subscriptions to see if they are worth the cost and are the periodicals that I receive with them meeting the goals I have for belonging to the organization. I have been at a calling body where 85% of the cost was born by the called worker. I have also been at a calling body where 100% of my professional growth needs were met by the calling body itself. It is a difficult line to walk, but as a professional, if my calling body doesn’t provide time and money, the LORD will. So I evaluate the professional needs I have along with my family circumstances and it has always worked out.

However, I also evaluate what I am currently doing for free and how it fits into my strengths, weaknesses, and interests for the upcoming school year. Are my blogs and news feeds giving me what I need? Is my Personal Learning Community (PLC) on Twitter and Google+ refined enough to help me with questions and problems and is my PLC delivering to me timely and relevant information? Are my professional peers at my calling body challenging me with questions of their own and are they helping me with my struggles and uncertainties? These are things that take no dollars from anyone. These are also things that, when organized effectively, take very little time each day or each week. But these blogs, my PLC, and my professional peers pay me back with information and experience than I could never put a price on. Remember, the LORD provides!!

• Excellent thoughts. I am deliberating a call now and feel a bit nervous with some aspects of the subjects I would teach. I have a small and hopefully expanding PLC on Twitter and Google+, etc… that I pray will provide help.

Having a group of science and math teachers in Google+ / Twitter groups / lists could really benefit each of us in terms of semi realtime cooperation and collaboration on curriculum practices, etc… This seems important when you need timely ideas and help, where the continuing education component helps extended a teacher’s gifts to serve in another arena within the school.

Just some ideas to bounce around here.

Please, share YOUR thoughts!